Research shows that remaining physically active is an essential component in your recovery from cancer and the effects of its treatment. Physiotherapy will target the individual’s specific physical problems as a result of cancer to ensure the individual does remain physically active.
At Rehab Beyond Cancer we understand the problems and difficulties an individual can face due to cancer. Our specialist physiotherapist can provide expert treatment to minimise symptoms and maximise function and quality of life.
We can help at any stage of your condition, even prior to treatment something called Prehab, and are committed to providing a high standard of evidence-based treatment.
The assessment and treatment plan
Your physiotherapist will take a thorough history of your cancer journey to date and discuss your main concerns. This will lead us to a focused physical examination of your symptoms and main problem areas. The findings of the assessment will be discussed and you will have the opportunity to set some specific goals to achieve during your therapy sessions. The short and long term goals will be set to be achievable but will be different for every individual.
Your physiotherapy treatment plan will be based on your concerns and the goals set during the assessment.
Rehab Beyond Cancer Physiotherapy Treatment might include:-
- Soft tissue mobilisation, stretches and splinting which may help reduce pain and swelling
- Joint and muscle stretches to maintain range of movement
- Fatigue management and advice on pacing
- Muscle strengthening and co-ordination exercises
- Core stability and balance exercises
- Cardiovascular exercises to help increase exercise tolerance and stamina
- Respiratory breathing exercises
- Provision of home exercise programme
- Education of Carers, Employers, Exercise trainers
- Postural management and ergonomic advice
- Provision of appropriate positioning aids, mobility aids and equipment to increase independence with functional tasks
- Recommendations and referrals to other experts and complimentary services as appropriate
- Improve mobility and confidence to your desired optimal level of fitness
- Practice of functional activities, whether related to home, work or hobbies
- Management/advice of limb swelling and/or lymphoedema
- Provide advice as to which exercise classes would suit your individual needs. Classes can be recommended for any level of fitness as the periods of exercise and rest are adapted as fitness, strength and stamina improve.
Your physiotherapist at Rehab Beyond Cancer will provide you with an exercise programme which has been individually tailored to your needs.
This may include any number of the elements described above. It may involve being recommended other exercises and/or gym work as part of the prescribed treatment programme to reach your specific end goals.
Benefits of Rehab Beyond Cancer
- Optimise physical and functional recovery
- Ease pain and muscular tension
- Regain strength and mobility
- Increase energy levels and improve breathing
- Strengthen core muscles and improve posture
- Improve physical functioning and maintain independence
- Reclaim body confidence and control
- Reduce treatment related side effects
- Improve stamina and fitness
- Improve breathing and reduce stress
- Help you to integrate regular exercise into your life
- Shift focus from illness to wellness
- Assist return to work, sport and leisure activities.
- Allow you to laugh, relax and have fun
- Connect with other people on a similar journey to you or other professionals who have the expertise in cancer rehab
The overall aim is to improve cardiovascular fitness, endurance, strength, postural tone and balance. The choice of how this is achieved is a joint decision and may involve other experts to provide support and education to enable you to return to living as full a life as you can achieve.